- Twinkies were invented in River Forest, Illinois in 1930 by James Alexander Dewar, a baker for the Continental Baking Compan
- Several machines used for making cream-filled strawberry shortcake, sat idle when berries weren’t in season so he conceived a snack cake filled with banana cream and dubbed them “Twinkies”.
- During WWII bananas were rationed and company substituted vanilla cream
- In 1988 fruit and cream filling (strawberry & vanilla swirl) introduced but was not very well received and soon was dropped
- Deep-fried Twinkie debuted at Texas State Fair and now fried Twinkies are sold throughout the US at fairs as well as ball games
Did you also buy into the urban legend regarding the "shelf life" of a Twinkie? It was said that Twinkies could last 20,50, even 100 years due to chemicals used is. NOT TRUE!
They will last at least 25 days or more, because they are made without unstabilized dairy products or eggs and thus spoil slower than most bakery items, however, don't tuck some away to eat 2o years from now!
Upon realizing that this was a day to celebrate that great American snack cake, I remembered a recipe that I haven't made for many, many years: The Twinkie Dessert. (see below)